Deciding to remodel or renovate your home may either be one of the best or worst decisions you can make. If done properly, remodeling in Bakersfield, CA can significantly increase the value of your home while making it a more comfortable place to live. On the other hand, a remodel can also go horribly wrong, resulting in enormous headaches for everyone involved. Continue reading to learn a few of the pitfalls to avoid:
- Buying cheap flooring: There are so many facets of remodeling that homeowners often neglect the basics, including their floors. You can spend tens of thousands of dollars remodeling your home, but if you opt for cheap flooring, the renovation project won’t come close to the value it might have otherwise provided. Do your research and be sure to invest in quality flooring that’ll last for years to come.
- Using the wrong flooring: If you’ve spent a little extra for quality flooring, you’re on your way to a successful remodel. But installing certain types of flooring in the wrong rooms is another pitfall. For example, you’d never want to install carpet or hardwood in rooms with a lot of moisture, like a kitchen or bathroom. Talk to a flooring professional about which types of floors are right for each room in your home.
- Self-installation: Some types of flooring, like vinyl, can be installed without professional help. Though installing flooring by yourself might save you some money, it’s not the best idea. We’ve found that DIY installation often leads to problems in the long run, like floors that start to curl upwards around the edges. Instead, we recommend hiring a team of pros to install your flooring for you! It’s an investment that’s well worth the money.
- Being too trendy: Like trends in fashion, home design trends come and go. What’s popular now is sure to be out of style within the next decade or so. Since you’ll probably want to sell your home somewhere down the road, be conscious when you’re redesigning, and go with styles that will always be in style.
- Sacrificing function for form: You obviously want your remodeled home to look as good as possible, but at the end of the day, your home has to work for you. Be sure you’ll be comfortable in your new space, and that it can accommodate your entire family.
- Setting an unrealistic timeframe: Unlike home renovation shows on HGTV, your remodeling project won’t be done in a 60-minute time slot! Remodeling in Bakersfield, CA often takes a lot longer than expected, as unforeseen problems are known to arise in the middle of the project. Don’t get discouraged if your remodel takes a few weeks longer than expected.
- Underestimating total costs: Those unforeseen problems mentioned above often raise the cost of your remodeling project, which means remodeling projects tend to cost more than contractors estimate. Be prepared to spend a bit more than your original quote before you start a renovation.
If you’re thinking about investing in remodeling in Bakersfield, CA, be sure to get all of your flooring materials from All American Carpet Inc. From plush carpet to high-end hardwood, we have the best prices in town and can help you avoid breaking the bank on your remodeling project.
Categorised in: Remodeling